Campanario de Dumaguete
Erected in 1811 as bell tower of the Cathedral of St. Catherine of Alexandria and watchtower to forewarn towns folks of impending attacks of marauders. Restored in 1985 and skirted with a garden 10 years later, the belfry has become the city’s most popular architectural land mark.
Dumaguete’s most popular promenade and sunrise jogging track for health buffs.It is said that the boat carrying Dr. Jose Rizal docked within these shoreline, and Rizal is believed to had a nice afternoon coffee with the locals before departing for Dapitan where he was exiled. Thus, the boulevard was named in his memory.
Founded in 1901 and covers 35 hectares adjacent to downtown Dumaguete, declared a bird sanctuary, noted for its olden trees, cottage residences and major buildings such as Guy Hall, Channon Hall, Oriental and Occidental Halls which Japanese occupation forces used for administrative and penal activities.
Originally a New York theatre building, reassembled in Dumaguete in 1903 to cradle the fledgling Silliman Institute founded in 1901, the first Protestant university in the country. The structure is architecturally distinctive as early Americana. It now houses the Assembly Hall on the ground floor and the Silliman University (SU) Ethno-Anthro Museum on the second floor.
Filipino-American Japanese Amity Shrine
A three sided pillar soars above a viewing deck on the Sagbang hilltop where Filipino, American and Japanese soldiers clashed in a fierce encounter during WWII in Negros Oriental . Unveiled on April 2, 1977 by veterans and descendants of the war casualties, the shrine overlooks the panoramic sprawl of Dumaguete City, Sibulan and Bacong towns and the neighboring islands of Cebu and Siquijor.
St. Augustine of Hippo Pipe Organ
Built in 1866 , Bacong church is located by the sea featuring the oldest existing main altar reputed to be the province’s oldest; its pipe organ from Zaragosa, Spain was installed in 1894 through the efforts of the first parish priest, Rev. Joaquin Soriano. The belfry, reputed to be Oriental Negros’ tallest with winding steps to the top, was used as a look-out point for seafaring pirates who used to attack the village.
St. Paul University
Established in 1904 and known as the first St. Paul de Chartres Institution in the Philippines. A marker on Rizal Boulevard commemorates the landing of the seven Belgian nuns who founded the school in the old parish convent beside the Cathedral. The university traces its origins to the coming of the Sisters of Saint Paul of Chartres (SPC) in the Philippines. The congregation to which the sisters belonged was founded in Chartres, France in 1968.
On October 29, 1904, the said sisters who just came from a trip in Vietnam, established the first Saint Paul’s school in the Philippines in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental. The seven sisters were Mother Marthe de Saint Paul, Superior, Sr. Marie Louise du Sacre Coeur, Sr. Ange Marie, Sr. Anne de la Croix, Sr. Charles de Genes, Sr. Catherine, and Sr. Josephine.
Dumaguete City Hall
Built in 1907 to house the offices of the mayor, vice mayor, Sangguniang Panglunsod and its session hall and various other government units. Fronting the old main entrance is Quezon Park that features monuments and a newly expanded children’s playground.